pyspotify 1.2 released

pyspotify is a Python wrapper for libspotify, which give developers access to the Spotify music streaming service.

Today, I tagged pyspotify 1.2 at GitHub and pushed the new release to PyPI. I’ve also made deb packages of libspotify and pyspotify available at

The 1.2 release brings pyspotify up to date with libspotify 0.0.8, which was released by Spotify a couple of weeks ago. It also fixes a bunch of memory issues. pyspotify does not implement the full libspotify API, but a significant and usable part of it. With pyspotify 1.2 all the old and broken unit tests have been fixed, and a bunch of new tests have been developed. For the first time, pyspotify is documented, and it comes with a new web site.

This is the first release of pyspotify to PyPI since Doug Winter’s release of 1.1 in April 2010. Since Doug hasn’t found the time to maintain pyspotify further, Johannes Knutsen and myself have been patching pyspotify somewhat ad hoc, adding just what we needed to keep pyspotify barely working with the new releases of libspotify and Mopidy. Back in January, I explored the use of Cython for a new alternative libspotify binding, spoticy. Using Cython for this was a great success as far as I took it, but I had other Mopidy related side projects to complete first (aka Pykka). Because Mopidy depends heavily on pyspotify, I also asked Doug to transfer the maintenance of pyspotify to the Mopidy project, which he finally decided to do now in May.

In February, Antoine Pierlot-Garcin started sending us patches for our branch of pyspotify. Since then, he has been steadily improving pyspotify. All the improvements listed above is due to Antoine’s work, and the 1.2 release is to his credit.

I hope this will make the situation around pyspotify clearer, and that we’ll soon see more projects using pyspotify to do great stuff with the Spotify service.

Le pyspotify est mort, vive le pyspotify.